The selection interview: Top tips
Before the interview:
1. Review the candidate’s paperwork – cv, application form or summary of previous interview.
2. Identify particular areas to explore.
3. Have the key assessment criteria clear in your mind.
4. Have the definitions and positive and negative indicators clear in your mind.
5. Review the prepared open ended and follow up questions.
6. Candidate care: arrange for the candidate to be greeted, offered refreshment and for payment of travel expenses if this is company policy.
7. Set the scene: arrange layout, seating, lighting and divert possible interruptions.
At the start of the interview
8. Greet candidate by name, putting him/her at ease with appropriate small talk..
9. Seat him/her comfortably.
10. Reduce his/her uncertainty by outlining the content and structure of the interview and when it will conclude. Explain the stages and timing of the overall selection process.
During the interview
11. Start questioning on a subject easy for the interviewee to talk about, keeping more sensitive items until later.
12. Establish his career aspirations and what he/she expects from the job under consideration.
13. Put any queries you may have (about qualifications, job history or education) from the cv, application form or screening interview.
14. Move on to the prepared criteria based questions.
15. Make sure you are making notes.
16. Review your notes to ensure you have covered all the criteria.
17. Invite his/her questions, describe the job, the conditions and the organisation.
18. Tell him/her the interview is concluded, ask him/her if there is anything he wishes to add. Listen carefully to what is said ‘off the record’.
19. Thank him/her for coming to the interview and being open and helpful. Ensure he/she is accompanied to the exit and deal with any queries on transportation.
After the interview
20. Immediately review and analyse your notes and recollections, evaluate the interviewee on each of the criteria in readiness for making the selection decision when all candidates have been seen.
Interested in this topic? JSB offers expert training, innovative public events and insightful consultancy and coaching around this subject. Talk to us on +44 (0)20 8371 7011.