As organisations expand their global footprint the number of employees on international assignments increases as firms send key talent to where it is most needed. Indeed, according to an industry survey conducted by Ernst & Young over the next twelve months short-term assignments are predicted to increase by 20% and long-term ones by 11%. However, ensuring that assignment programmes truly meet the needs of the business is a significant challenge for both line-managers and HR.
A key factor in the success of any international assignment is the extent to which a programme is effectively planned and structured before the assignment commences. This process includes such tasks as defining the purpose and objectives of the assignment, selecting assignees, preparing for the practical aspects of the relocation, dealing with legal requirements, pre-empting the risks that the assignee might face and finally working out the post-assignment strategy.
Designed for HR professionals who are involved in structuring and managing international assignments this one day seminar will examine the assignment lifecycle and explore practical ways in which participants can apply industry best-practice in their particular organisational context.
Who will benefit?
- HR professionals
- International HR Managers
- Global HR Director
- International assignment manager
- HR Managers
- HR Directors
- HR Advisors EMEA
- Strategy managers
- Other functional leaders involved involved in structuring and managing international assignments
- Explore international assignment strategies and their impact at your organisation
- Gain insights into best practice assignment management from experienced HR Practitioner Catherine McNemanin
- Examine the legal considerations with employment lawyer Stefan Nerinckx, Partner at Field Fisher Waterhouse
- Review your international assignment policies and approach to ongoing assignee management
- Consider approaches to repatriation and retention of talent post assignment
View typical programme content
International assignment strategies & assignment planning
- Workshop session - take part in group activities and start the day by relating the programme to the activities taking place at your organisation.
- International mobility strategy and business objectives
- Defining the purpose and objectives of an international assignment
- Assignment requirement planning – choosing an appropriate structure
- Cost considerations - how much investment is required?
Assessment, selection and approval
- Selection processes & techniques
- Identify and match candidates to job requirements e.g. technical and language skills
- Determine suitability for undertaking an assignment
- Skill assessment & development
- Personality and Intercultural awareness and development
- Assessment tools
- Career and succession planning considerations
- Competitive assignment reward and benefit packages
- Developing an appropriate package to support the assignment
- Pre-departure training
Legal considerations for international assignees and their employees
- Laws applicable to the contract and how to optimise the structure to anticipate legal hustle
- What is the impact of social security and immigration on the contractual relationship?
International assignment best practice
- Case study session with a particular focus on implementing compensation and benefit packages sharing some of the challenges inherent to international assignment management have been tackled successfully.
- Assessment & selection of international assignees
- Compensation and benefit packages
- Ongoing assignment support
- Post assignment analysis
Relocation & ongoing support
- Risks in global deployment: the employers duty of care for international assignees
- Expatriate orientation: why is this important, what should it cover and when should it happen?
- On assignment support and performance management
- International assignment policy development
Assignment conclusion and repatriation
- Planning for repatriation: challenges of returning home
- Measuring the value of international assignments
- Retention strategies & post assignment career development